Monday, January 17, 2011

Food is Love

I recommend this book!
I recently read a book that combined two of my favorite things...food and love.  Lunch in Paris, is both a novel and cookbook.  It is actually a memoir written by Elizabeth Bard, an American who winds up in Paris, with recipes (mostly French) scattered throughout the book.  During my temporary ownership (I use the library), I managed to make two of the recipes.  Now I wish I had remembered to write down a few lines in the book that I knew I'd want to remember.  It talked about how there is a link between love of food and sexual passion. The author compared a woman who just picks at her food  to a woman who thoroughly enjoys her food and eats with passion, and how that is a tell-tale sign of how they are in bed.  I love that theory!!!

Lately, my youngest daughter, Alyssa, 15, has been sharing the cooking duties at our house.  She had been the one out of my two girls who showed an interest in cooking at an early age.  She started off with omelets and scrambles...I'd often come home on weekend mornings  from the gym, to find the smell of garlic and onions hit me as soon as I walked in.  She's be chopping veggies to mix in with scrambled eggs for the three of us.  She mastered  risotto by the tender age of  12.  Now, she threatens to take over my kitchen!  Really, I'm just kidding, it's nice to have help in the kitchen.  I call her my little "sous chef".  Last week alone, she took over three of our dinner meals, all recipes from our favorite chef Giada.  The were all delicious, I know Giada would be impressed!



Alyssa's interpretation of Giada's Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce.
 
I love that I have passed to her a love of cooking, just as my mother and grandmother passed down to me.  Even my oldest daughter Kristil, 19, took a little interest in what was going on in the kitchen while she was home from college over Christmas.  Not only did she pitch in a little with my Christmas cookies, she even helped make a delicious mushroom wine sauce for our Christmas Eve prime rib.   I really wished I could freeze time when I had both my girls in the kitchen with me, all three of us, cooking, baking, and laughing together.

Food really is Love.

1 comment: