Monday, February 21, 2011

Pure Indulgence

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything over here, which doesn't mean I haven't been cooking and baking, but I have been a little busier than usual. 

Rich, buttery, peanut butter goodness!
A few days ago I tried a recipe I saw Giada De Laurentis make on her show Giada at Home.  It sounded so yummy, and it definitely did not disappoint.

I really don't know how she stays so thin, she must take only one bite of everything she cooks!  I wish I had that kind of will power.

So, here is the recipe, it is by far the best pound cake I have ever tasted, it almost tastes more like a cookie.  I added some mini peanut butter and chocolate cups, but they kind of melted into the batter.  I also under baked this just a tad, it was a little gooey in the center.  So next time, and there will be a next time, I will keep it in the oven for a few more minutes.  I usually cut my baking times a bit since my oven seems a little hotter than normal.  Next time I make it, I'm going to fold in some semi-sweet chocolate chips, which will hold their shape and add another level of yumminess!

A tip I have here that would have helped me with the baking time is to use a light colored loaf pan.  I haven't bought a new one in years, and mine is still the old dark, nonstick type, which I really don't like.  The next item I purchase for my kitchen will be a new loaf pan.





Ingredients

  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 1 (9.5-ounce) bag soft caramel candies, unwrapped (recommended: Kraft Classic Caramels) *
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-5-by-3-inch nonstick, metal loaf pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with a 14-by-3 1/2-inch piece of parchment paper. Spray with vegetable oil cooking spray. Line the sides of the pan with a 14-by-7-inch piece of parchment paper. Set aside.

In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the caramel candies and heavy cream over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the candies have melted and the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium and beat in the eggs and vanilla. With the machine running, gradually add the flour mixture in batches to form a thick batter. Beat in the peanut butter. Transfer half of the batter to the prepared pan. Pour 2 tablespoons of the caramel lengthwise along the center of the batter. Using the tip of a knife, swirl the caramel sauce into the batter. Place the remaining batter on top and pour another 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce lengthwise along the center of the batter. Swirl the caramel sauce into the batter. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and peel away the parchment paper. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour (center of cake will fall during cooling). Slice the pound cake and place on a serving platter. Warm the remaining caramel sauce over low heat. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the pound cake slices or serve alongside.

* I used Target's brand, it it tasted just fine.

I highly recommend you try this recipe, especially if you love peanut butter and caramel!  And who doesn't, right?

1 comment:

  1. This is a Mr. Mike Recipe, if ever there was one. :) He's Captain Peanut Butter, when he's not being Captain Bacon. :)

    ReplyDelete